Saturday, March 12, 2016

FOOTLOOSE KIND OF DAY

Today as I was trying to finally come up with a definite story, I watched the film openings for both movies of Footloose, the one made in 1998 and the one made in 2011.

In both opening scenes, close-ups of feet play the main role.


In the 1998 film opening, the background is always a solid dull color, bringing attention to the feet of the people dancing. A variety of shoes such as heels, sneakers and boots are shown one at a time demonstrating to the audience that dance is for everyone. I really love that idea. It is simple and the diversity of shoes presented make you, the viewer, feel like dancing. 



In the 2011 film opening, the same idea of starting with close-ups of different shoes dancing is used. However, instead of having solid colors as the background, other shoes of  people dancing can be seen in the background. However, the main focus keeps on being the shoe that is being presented at the moment. What I liked about this film was that the entire opening was not only shoes moving, but also a problem was presented. After the close-up of the shoes, a group of teens are introduced getting into a car. As the teens are driving, they get into a terrible car accident. That is how the film opening ends. It really made me want to know what was going to happen next. Did the teens survive the accident? Who are these teens? How will this problem still be related to dance?





I really want my film opening to end with some sort of powerful event that will keep the viewer engaged and wanting to know what will happen next.


The idea of having close-ups of shoes could really be beneficial for me as it does not require a budget, many people and professional choreography.


I really need to put my cascade of ideas together to have a concrete story today.


What I know I want my movie to include are:

-kids
-dance
-a turning point/problem introduced.

"Now I gotta cut loose, footloose Kick off your Sunday shoes"...



"Footloose Feet Dance Scene (1984)." YouTube. YouTube, 15 Aug. 2014. Web. 12 Mar. 2016. 


           <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSWlpZSdu4E>.



Footloose Opening Scene (2011)YouTube. YouTube, 12 June 2012. Web. 12 Mar. 2016.    


           <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZeWUumO0E>.




No comments:

Post a Comment