Wednesday, March 9, 2016

MY SIS WANTS TO DO THE TWIST

I really want to introduce my little sister, Sara, as she was the one who gave me the inspiration to make a dance film.

She is 10 years old and has danced for half of her lifetime. She is currently taking Ballet, Tap and Hip Hop dance lessons. The different techniques used in the different types of dance make me want to incorporate different dance styles in my film opening. 

As soon as I told my sister that I had decided to make a dance film, she jumped up and down, and said that she was going to be the star. This got me thinking... maybe I could make a movie in which I contrast and incorporate teenagers and children. 

I would really like my movie to show the passion children have when dancing. They dance for fun, because they love it. I have seen how many of my friends, including myself,  have quit their extracurricular activities because school has taken over their lives. Attending their extracurricular activities has become an extra burden, and they have forgotten how much they actually love the activity. 

I have researched and taken notes abut 3 different types of dance, Ballet, Tap and Hip Hop, so I make sure that through my shots, mise en scène and music, I can capture the essence of each type of dance. 

These are the key characteristics of each dance:

Ballet:- Very graceful
           - One can tell a story through ballet
           - Movements look natural and seem to defy                 
             gravity 
           - Dancer needs to understand the music and feel 
             the rhythm 
           - Generally danced to classical music
           - Very clean, neat simple attire; leotards and tutus 
              are worn

Tap: - Rapid footwork
        - Feet and shoe act as a drum
        - Each part of the tap shoe makes a specific sound
        - Usually accompanied by jazz music
        - Tap dancers usually dress formally  
        - Feet are the main instrument  

Hip Hop: - Complex rhythms
                - Not an Academy dance but a street dance
                - Can be improvised or choreographed
                - Danced to Rap and Hip Hop music
                - Casual attire such as sneakers, flannel and          
                   jogger pants
               



The 3 Types of dance are incorporated in the picture:

- The leotard, ballet shoes and tights represent Ballet.
- The flannel shirt represents Hip Hop.
- The tap shoes she is holding represent Tap.


 Hanson, Rachel. "History of Hip Hop Dance." Love To Know.

      Disqus, 2015. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.    



United States. National Park Service. "Tap Dancing: It's 

    All in the Feet!" National Parks Service. U.S.Department of the Interior, 2016. Web. 

      09 Mar. 2016. 




No comments:

Post a Comment