Wednesday, March 16, 2016

MI HISTORIA

I finally have my story, and I am really excited about it.

I am Mexican and I moved to the United States 3 years ago due to the violence in the country. There has been a problem in Mexico for many years in which drug dealers come into the discotheques and select a girl who they are attracted to. Once they see her, they take her. This is not traditional kidnapping, as they take the girl forever and never contact the girl's family asking for money or anything. The girl becomes their mistress or sex slave, and families may never find their loved one again.

I was kidnapped in Mexico and even though this specific problem did not happen to me, I do want to highlight this MAJOR problem that has not been as widely reported. Mexican authorities know that thousands of people are kidnapped in the country and in my personal experience, they did NOTHING to try to find the criminals. They just played along with the criminals'  business.

I have attached a specific story about a girl who went missing and the authorities literally just told her family that their daughter had probably been taken by a drug dealer who thought she was pretty and that they would never see her again. UMM EXCUSE ME.. DO SOMETHING!!!!!

My story would incorporate dancing at the same time that this problem is introduced.

The film opening would start with a black scene in which radio commentators would be discussing this problem. The dialogue would be in Spanish and I would put subtitles to make it more realistic and make sure the audience understands that this problem is taking place in Mexico. Then the black scene would be lit up revealing a 10 year old girl dancing to an upbeat song. As she is dancing, the scene would transition into the older (teenage) version of the girl who is now dancing at a disco. People would be seen in the background dancing instead of the black background. Then 3 men would be introduced who would point at the main girl. It would end with one of the men saying "ella"(her), then the scene goes black again.

By making this film, I will combine 2 topics about which I am passionate: dance and the culture of violence in Mexico.

I will start my storyboard tomorrow as I would like to start filming next week.

Fingers crossed


P.S. The article that I have attached is in Spanish but basically tells the story of a girl named Fernanda,who went missing after being taken from a discotheque. Furthermore, it criticizes the authorities lack of response to the girl's family. 

Martinez, Paris. "Se Llevaron a Fernanda "por Bonita" - Animal 

           PolĂ­tico."Animal Poltico. Animal Politico, 09 Sept. 2013. Web. 16 

           Mar. 2016. <http://www.animalpolitico.com/2013/09/se-llevaron-a-

           fernanda-por-bonita-alegan-autoridades-de-veracruz/>.

2 comments:

  1. I find your blog to be very impressive and you have definitely put your voice in your writing. You have inspired me in my blog in a time where I was terrible writing block. Your idea is very interesting; scrolling down your blog I saw the topic of dancing continuously throughout your blog. Before this post I was going to comment in how impressively organized you are but, when I looked harder I saw the post concerning your story and how your idea came about. You've made a story that reaches close to heart, a story that you have certain similarities towards. You also manage to provide a message through the story. Again, I'm really impressed and hopefully I will be able to see your finished project.

    P.S. You have a great voice and the little side comments and quotes show your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell from all your posts that you've really put your heart into this project. I like that you were able to turn a personal experience into a film idea. I think it is a very unexplored topic, especially in film. Hollywood general portrays Mexican crimes are pertaining solely to drug trafficking, but it's interesting to see a whole new side to the story. It is an issue that many, like myself, are unaware of and your film is a great way to shed light of a serious issue.
    Your blog is full of interesting and engaging text, which comes from good writing that is full of personality. You seem very organized, which is a great quality, and really dedicated to creating a great film opening.There is not much I can offer in the way of tips because I honestly think your blog is excellent. You seamlessly incorporate images and research into your text. If your film opening reflects your blog than I'm sure it is going to be amazing, can't wait to watch!

    ReplyDelete